Monday, November 25, 2019

A New Sewing Machine

I been thinking about a new sewing machine for a while now but I just cannot seem to justify the price of the fancy embroidery machines/top of the line machines. I look at the Bernina stitch regulator but have heard discussion about how it can be a challenge to learn/make work and I have not done a lot of machine quilting so really for the price do I want to spend that much money.

I have had a Janome New Home machine for over 20 years and it has been a real trooper. Unfortunately several years ago might me like 5 or more now the LED screen has lost the back lighting so to see when you want to select different stitches or settings I need to take a flashlight an shine it sideways on the screen and then I can see the setting buttons. (kind of a pain but it does work)

Then I received an e-mail from the shop Picket Fence and it had a sale flyer about the M7 machine it looked interesting so I then did some on line searches and watched several YouTube videos about it that intrigued me even more. So I realized I had a dealership even closer then Prairie Du Chen and so I went to the Farmer's Daughter shop in Oelwein and they had the machine there so I got to play the lady at the shop didn't know a lot about the machine but she cuts some fabric and let me push buttons and play with it.

On a side note I have been to shops and it seems like they don't want you to play with the toys and why am I going to spend money on a toy if all they will let me do is either look at it and not touch or watch them demo it. In my opinion the best way to sell it is to set that person down and let them fall in love so they want to take it home.

Ok off that soap box and onto the test run I liked the different applique stitches it had and it ran smooth and I like the look of it. I did not try it's stitch thru multi layers but it was a big selling point in the videos I watched so if you are making bag or things like that with multi layers it is suppose to power thru. I came home and talked to DH and as it was a really good price at the local shop I went back on Friday after I got off work and bought it.

 
So I got it home Friday and worked on some applique work sorry no pictures of that as it is a present that is top secret. I did have some issues the first threads I used worked fine stitched away and all was well then I switched to a Magnifico thread from Superior and it messed with the thread cutter. I got error messages and ended up shutting the machine off and restarting it. This happen several times did the clean up as suggested by the book and still not a fix. Unfortunately this was all on a Saturday night so I did some searching on line and found two Facebook groups one specifically for the machine and the other for Janome in general and asked a question or two no one had any ideas so this AM I called the shop and talked to Irene and she called the sales rep. I guess he is going to be calling me in the near future and wants to stop and see what is happening.
 
So today after getting home from work I decided to try some free motion quilting on this project kit I did a while back. It is a kit I picked up at the Picket Fence in Prairie Du Chien not sure they still have any kits but it was fun and easy project that I purchased a while ago.  So far it is going well I may even get it to the point to sew on binding.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 24, 2023

 Well today was my last day of radiation happy to no be driving back and forth to LaCrosse everyday. It seem like forever then it was like o...