Saturday, July 2, 2011

Farmer’s Wife quilt moving forward - Oversized Donut

I have not picked this project up in a while and am way behind the list that the guild has set for each month on blocks. I started out well then life and other things got in the way. So I dug out the box and finished two of the blocks I had been working on.
Bouquet #8
DSCF2450
Silver Lane #79
DSCF2449

Now to cut out another couple blocks and get busy on them.

The last couple days have been really warm we hit 100 I think on Friday and Thursday was not a lot better. Thank goodness for central air. Not a lot of plans for this holiday weekend. I had to work this morning and I made a lot of sweets sure hope they sell well over the next day or two. Plus putting a bunch of things out that I keep on hand like muffin's and mini cup cakes and some Dolly Madison mini donuts.

Earlier this week I made a Monster donut I found a pan at JoAnne's I just had to get Oversized Cake Donut
The're two pans in the box and you mix up a cake mix and fill the pans and then bake.

My first attempt at making and oversize donut did not come out very well I am thinking I should of baked it longer the cake was firm to the touch but it did not brown on the bottom. I did not have a cake mix and found a recipe for a Almond cake in a cook book and tried that thinking the flavor would be really good. Well the cake it self tasted good and I used it as a short cake for some strawberries. The problem with it was that it did not brown on the bottom and so when I flipped it out the cake was very blond. and did not look like a brown pretty donut.

So I took the pans to work with me on Wed and made a second attempt at making an over sized cake donut using a yellow cake mix and adding cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves to the batter put it in the pan and baked for 40 min (the first one I only baked about 30 min) and it came out just the way you would want it to look.
 After the two layers were  baked I trim the cake so they were flat and set them together to make a full size donut. Drizzled with frosting and used sprinkles and boxed it up.  Then put it out for sale. I don't know if it was the price I put on it or it just did not strike anyone's fancy. 

I took this picture with my cell phone camera and the box was a little bit steamed up so will have to try this again some time and see if I can get a better picture.

Mr first a

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 24, 2023

 Well today was my last day of radiation happy to no be driving back and forth to LaCrosse everyday. It seem like forever then it was like o...